We don't recommend uploading videos to your site as UBC CMS is not a hosting service; however, embedding videos from other sources such as YouTube is a good alternative.
NOTE: Please keep in mind that YouTube is a US service.
The following sections will explain how to set up and embed your videos using YouTube:
Uploading to YouTube
Many UBC department/units have their own UBC YouTube Accounts. Additionally, UBC has a YouTube channel that lets you upload unlimited amount of data - in other words you are not limited to 10 min long videos.
Please refer to the following on How to upload a video to YouTube EDU
Embedding a YouTube video to a page or post
WordPress supports oEmbed just enter the URL to the YouTube Video and magic will happen. That is,
- in your web browser, open the YouTube video you want to embed
- copy the video URL (similar to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMPjq3fHL_) from the browser's address bar
- edit the page, post, or widget on which you want to embed the video, and paste the URL
- optional: you can clean up the video’s URL by deleting any characters after and including an ampersand
Other services supported by WordPress oEmbed include:
- Flickr (both videos and images)
- WordPress.tv(only VideoPress-type videos for the time being)
- SmugMug (WordPress 3.0+)
- FunnyOrDie.com(WordPress 3.0+)
- Twitter (WordPress 3.4+)
Using Custom Fields With Embed Code:
Before you can use custom fields, you have to make sure that the "Conditional Custom Fields Shortcode" plugin is enabled (How do I enable plugins?).
Once you've enabled custom fields, they will be available on the Edit/Add New Page and Edit/Add New Post pages (if you they are still not visible, check that their visibility is enabled in the "Screen Options" drop-down tab at the top of the page).
Embedding videos with custom fields is the same as embedding Google Maps with custom fields; therefore, please refer to the "Embedding Through Custom Fields" section of this page for more information on using custom fields.