This is no way to export & import widgets automatically (with 100% accuracy, anyways).
-method is done manually, in copy-paste fashion
-default import/export action (Tools > Import / Export function) does not include widgets
- import site content into new site (via XML import method) -so that your pages/posts/items, etc. are all created in your new site
- create widgets in corresponding sidebars
- copy/paste over necessary widget info (e.g. html, etc)
- if 'section' or 'section tabbed' widgets are used, go through the 'Special Pages' / 'Pages' / 'Categories' / 'Tags' & check that all the correct items are checked off against original site.
What can / should be migrated?
- Active Widgets (yes)
- In-active widgets (yes/no?)
- 'Widgets Template' sidebar no longer exists in new CLF (risk: low)
'Subsidiary' wigdget (on old CLF) is now called 'Footer' widget (on new CLF)
3 sidebars that have been re-named, from:
- Utility: Before Content
- Utility: After Content
- Utility: After Singular
- Before Content
- After Content
- After Singular